MOTHERING THE WORLD: Caregiving, COVID, and Working Through Maternal Labor / Gendered Performance/Submissions through June 30, 2021
What the heck is going on in 2021? How have last year and this year mirrored or amplified ongoing issues regarding caregiving labor and gendered performance? Is feminism taking a back seat as mothers and fathers turn to homeschooling? As salaries fade, hardship and isolation fray nerves, and as illness coupled with civil disobedience take shape on the streets, what are we going to do?
Let these writings serve as a site of resistance as we practice the ongoing labor of caregiving, nursing, birthing, art-making, scholarship, salary-making, anti-racist practices, and survival in the time of COVID. Let us offer hope, support, and empowerment through knowledge, education, and shared experiences.
This special edition of the Journal of Mother Studies seeks to elucidate the experiences of families from an interdisciplinary perspective. We welcome submissions on a variety of topics from those conducting research, making home-site projects, working in hospital or alternative birth settings, as well as auto-ethnographic perspectives. Submissions are open on a rolling basis to all, through the month of June 2020.
JourMS submissions are peer-reviewed and the journal is published annually on September 1 each year online.
The Editorial Collective of the Journal of Mother Studies invites submissions of scholarly articles and essays from the Interdisciplinary Humanities as defined by the arts, history, culture, the social sciences, women’s and gender studies, literary studies, anthropology, the folkloric, psychology, the digital humanities, and media studies. We encourage dialogue between varying fields and welcome feminist critiques of race, class, ethnicity, sexuality, technology, media, public heath, and nation. The Journal also features book reviews about newly penned and forthcoming works.
- Please submit abstracts electronically. We will then contact you and ask you to submit a full MS Word attachments article via e-mail: JourMS@gmail.com
- All work should be double-spaced, with 1-inch margins, in 12-point Times font
- Scholarly essays should be 5-18 pages double-spaced. Reviews should be approximately 500 words (we are flexible).
- JourMS is interdisciplinary. Writers can follow either APA or MLA format (depending on your discipline). Double-space all text, on 8 1/2 X 11-inch paper, using Times New Roman. American spelling.
- All manuscripts must be submitted with a cover document:
- Include a page with author’s name, address, email, phone number, brief bio, affiliation, & recent publications
- A 250-word abstract
- You are welcome to submit original art, or photographic images along with your manuscript; please ensure that you have (or will) proper permissions. Additionally, we will accept alternative formats such as PowerPoint, video, audio, and visual presentations.
- We will send you an acknowledgment of receipt once your submission is processed. The Editorial Board reviews all submissions before sending them out for external, anonymous peer review. We may provide reader comments, and ask you to revise and resubmit your work.
- Please submit final manuscript in Word Document to JourMS@gmail.com
- Seeking additional editorial board members as well for this year’s edition
- See more at JourMS.org