Desperate Artwives Takeover – London England
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
Who: Depserate Artwives Collective – Mother Artists!
What: We envisage each artist performing a repetitive domestic action or interruption of their own interpretation for the duration whilst wearing something red for recognition. (Some of the actions will be – folding, cleaning the floor, calling the children, hanging the washing etc). Where: In and around the Tate Modern.
Please be ready to start at 1pm.
The action is to be flash mob style. We will be starting by being spread out (please choose your position and if you can, let us know where you will be – roughly).
We will gradually get together for a big finale at approx. 1:45. Final meeting point will be at the river entrance on Queen’s Walks in between the trees’ path. When: Sunday the 6th of August from 1pm to 1:45 approx.
How Long: Approx 45 minutes Aims:
• To make visible Women doing domestic actions, in front of the Tate Modern at a time when finally we see a woman taking over as director of the gallery.
• To draw attention to the lack of women artists hanging in the gallery and represented throughout the art world in general.
• To draw attention to an invisible and legitimate and often unheard voice, that of the motherartist and to give it value.
• To demonstrate against and give voice and recognition to the silent unpaid work done by the many millions of women around the world that is diminished, minimised and unacknowledged.
If you cannot make it in person and will join us via Social Media:
• ON THE DAY post a picture of yourself whilst performing a domestic action on YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE or TWITTER ACCOUNT
• Wear something red
• Make sure you hash tag the following #uniteddespitethedistance #motherartist #desperateartwives