Celebrating and Archiving a Modern Mothers’ Movement – We Put Motherhood on the Map!
MoM is the first and only exhibition and education center devoted to elucidating the art, science, and herstory of women, m/others, and families inclusive of all reproductive identities. Our mission is to celebrate the work of mothers and to counter narratives that have kept women less visible while educating future generations.
The Museum of Motherhood’s artifacts and exhibits are currently housed in the MoM Art Annex, which is the physical location where we conduct onsite tours , have offices, and host residencies. Located in the neighborhood of Historic Kenwood in St. Petersburg, Florida, we are in the process of fundraising for the Museum’s physical campus.
At MoM, we encourage great conversations, support thought-provoking exhibits, and offer resources for people to engage in activities centered around identity and culture in a safe and inclusive environment. MoM encourages a deeper understanding of the labor and investment made by those birthing and raising the next generation as well as serving to deconstruct dominant stereotypes in order to increase our overall understanding of the family experience. We are awesomely made!
We keep abreast of changing birth technologies and give voice to a mom-made art movement through our actions while focusing on the social, psychological, physical, and economic realities embedded in these experiences. At MoM, our guiding premise is that we are all linked through a shared humanity. On the micro level, our activities encourage people to learn from each other and practice supporting each other. Once common connections are established, children experience parents more compassionately and parents experience their offspring similarly. Families, friendships, and neighborhoods are transformed and communities are impacted. We all grow together in positive ways.
MoM welcomes people of all ages and stages of reproductive experience including non-binary individuals, and those living through pregnancy, adoption, menses, loss, justice issues, illness, and disability as well as those who are childless by choice. We believe a more comprehensive understanding of all aspects of m/others, mothering, motherhood will lead to healthier and happier homes, more productive workplaces and better social policies.
#arts #culture #women #mothers #pregnancy #birth #family #history #science #education
What We Do and What We Want to Do
- Engage with people of all ages in an inclusive, supportive, and enriching environment.
- Elevate the artistic endeavors of m/others, procreators, dreamers, childless by choice, those experiencing fertility issues, and those who have suffered loss
- Educate the public about women’s evolving histories, identities, and roles in the home and in society
- Explore the science of menses, conception, gestation, birth, and matresence.
- Examine policy and advocacy around parenting
- Elaborate on pregnancy and birth as a sacred and creative act
- Evaluate deeply held notions about the value of reproduction and care-work
- Nurture those who nurture
- Be an international destination for those hoping to learn about m/others and families (with a focus on American Motherhood)
- Celebrate the awe of our shared human heritage: We all have a reproductive identity.
Honoring The Legacy Of M/others, Past, Present, and Future
MoM Art Annex Inc. is a certified Florida 501c3 non-profit that serves as an incubator project overseeing the growth of the Museum of Motherhood. Our mission is to establish a permanent structure for a world-class International Museum to promote the new field of mother studies, mother-made art, and the evolution of family while honoring the achievements of women in perpetuity and therefore preserving their legacy. The Annex is located in St. Petersburg, Florida and actively engages with the public through tours and talks, by promoting our collection of exhibits, hosting onsite guest residencies, and through participation in the AEHK community as well as the annual Studio Tour of Historic Kenwood, and other community activities.
MoM connects students, women, men, m/others and families through reproductive identity, music, art, activism, and education for cultural, economic, and social awareness. By creating, producing, and presenting visual, literary, educational, academic, and performing arts exhibits that celebrate, nurture and support individuals with a special emphasis on identity, experience, and community, MoM acts as a safe space for healing, inspiration, and illumination.
- The MOM (Museum of Motherhood) Art Annex creates, produces and presents artistic, educational and cultural content that studies and supports families and their activities.
- The MOM Art Annex disseminates information about women and mothers for broad public consumption, while paying tribute to them free of age, race and socio-economic barriers.
- The MOM Art Annex cares about, and acts upon the status of women, while celebrating the courage, fortitude and ingenuity of mothers, and addresses important issues, creates meaningful content, and provides compelling community experiences
(Copyright; MoM 2011)