Internships: Each year the Museum of Motherhood (MoM) welcomes interns from a variety of disciplines, including those interested in Art, Reproductive Identity, Anthropology, Human Development, Journalism, Graphics, Communication, Government, Literature, History, Science, Non-Profit Business, and Women’s and Gender Studies. Internships at MoM focus on the social, psychological, and economic realities of womyn, men, non-binary, and m/others embedded in these and other experiences. Internship seek to balance individual goals and needs with those of the museums’. Study labs, online courses, individual projects, visual displays, research, and guest docent opportunities are just a few of the ways MoM has worked with university and graduate students since 2011.
Internships are tailored to an individual’s interests and needs. Interactions from experts, professionals, artists, authors, community members, and students are key to our mission. We rely on volunteerism for much of our staffing. Onsite and remote internships are available. Apply by completing the form at the bottom of the page.
In-Person and Remote Internship Projects Include Skills and Experience with Hands-On Problem-Solving within the Local and Global Communities:
- Research a specific topic and create a series of student-made blogs, a booklet, poster series, gallery exhibit or other project that features original text, quotes, and images
- Create and implement social media strategy using Twitter, Local Blogs, FB, TikTok, Insta, Pinterest
- Practice design, graphics, photography, and/or filmmaking for a specially executed online project
- Develop an understanding of non-profit administration within the local St. Petersburg community by writing a local grant, identifying potential local partners, and/or by designing a potential future program whereby MOM and students might intersect with the community and/or identify and write a programming or acquisitions grant from the greater collective of available opportunities.
- Assist the annual editor of the Journal of Mother Studies (JourMS) with logistical and administrative tasks to prepare for the publishing of an online academic journal.
- Women’s & Gender Studies conversation, exploration of reproductive identities, and human development with a final presentation online
- Museum Curation Experience; assisting with exhibits
- Retail experience and store sales
- Museum tours
- Program Development
- Day to day operations experience
- Conference & event preparation and exposure
- Library organization and cataloging
Just a few of our student interns have included: Dr. Holly Singh’s class USF, Cate Baxter and Yang Li 2021, Emily Zou, Aster Woods, and Srilagna Majumdar, Jill Pow, Ca Hoang, Carla Ferris 2020 & Hannah Rome (MC), Vana Madhu (USF), Alexandra Valdes (USF) 2019 (New Bios posted on Padlet)
Ongoing exhibits, attendance, and participation at MoM
Facilitate a study online or on-site. Come up with a questionnaire; implement and execute the study.
Mother the Job, Silent No More, and other social change Art Projects. Help us engage young people and college students at MoM. Create an event, gathering or online program for MoM.
Monthly exhibits. Help curate and install ongoing museum exhibits.
Research. Help conduct ongoing research and contribute to blog articles, conference presentations and more.
Over the course of a semester, I have learned lots about interpersonal skills and communication that will help me in my future endeavors. –Bhavana Madhu, USF Tampa 2019
My internship with MOM has allowed me to have the freedom to be creative with my projects while also keeping them educational. I loved being able to help create the Women’s History Month exhibit. Hannah Rome, Manhattan College 2019
SOME PAST PROJECTS & SEE GALLERY
- Jade Jemison (Fall 2022) [Link]
- Tori Wright (Fall 2022) [LINK]
- Rithik Pramod (Summer 2022) [Link]
- Mary Noah (Summer 2022) [CLICK]
- Sarah Akomoh (Summer 2022) [CLICK]
- Emma Andrews (Summer 2022) [CLICK] Queer Parenting Project; for Youth and Adults (intern-made 2022): [Link Youth] [Link Adult]
- Teddy L Friedline, Sarah Akomoh (Summer 2022) [CLICK]
- Yang Li (Rome) ME, WE, WOMEN (2021) [CLICK]
- Holly Singh’s class (USF), Tampa Resources (2021) [CLICK]
- Vana Madhu (USF), Alexandra Valdes, (USF), (2019-2020) [CLICK]
- Domestic Violence Brochure (student-made) 2018): [CLICK]
- 12 Days of Gender Studies Project, (Manhattan College) (2018) [CLICK]
- Journal of Mother Studies, Editor Project, Candace Lecco (2018) [CLICK]
- Candace Lecco Read About Candace [CLICK](2018) Birth Practices Through The Ages, Collaboration 2011-2018 [CLICK]
- Shauna Ricketts earns Fulbright, Internship (SUNY, Geneseo) (2016) [CLICK]
- Write Out Loud Board (intern-made 2012): [Link]
- Special Sensory Need Playgroup Handbook (student-made 2012): [Link]
- Journalism major (Northwestern U.). publishes work about M.O.M. (2012)
- 2011-2014 UES, Manhattan over 50 graduate and undergraduate students from Hunter College, Columbia, Teachers College, Marymount Manhattan, and the High School of Art and Design participated in onsite internship programs and classes at MoM
If you can help us fulfill any of our volunteer, staffing or project needs, we are certain, those who participate in this project will gain valuable experience!